Hedgerow wanted to explore the British music and food festivals, seeing them as an opportunity to experiment with flavour combinations, ingredients and ways to communicate with our foodie friends. In the last few years, both mainstream and specialist events are putting chefs and pop-up restaurants on the line-up with the bands, so the emphasis on creative cuisine is bigger than ever. It is so important for us to understand who will buy from us, what they love and what they don’t like so much. Not to mention to see lovely happy faces with brilliantly quirky, sincere or excited comments… lots of whom came back for 2nds, 3rds and 4th’s
Getting ready for the festival season Hedgerow needed not just to look the part but really shine out in the crowds bearing in mind we would be selling to an audience of up to 32,000 people and fully aware the competition would be strong. I wanted to show you the process from a little sketch on paper (had to start somewhere) to the stand itself, so here it is…
The dream was to create an inviting, bold, colourful stand with echoes of the Hedgerow logo. Using my limited knowledge on SketchUp we designed a basic outlay showing where we wanted the logo, blackboards and entrance.
Deciding that scaffolding would be the safest option in high winds at festivals we had to work out all the dimensions, including a marquee to fit inside, so we could take the computer generated model to a scaffolding company (Deborah Services near Truro) who were very patient with us and explained what we would need and how to put it together. A few days later they had cut everything to size and gave us a diagram and a even a free ratchet! We spent most of the day in the baking sun trying to figure it all out, lots of standing around trying to work it all out. It was like some giant 3D abstract jigsaw.
The next stage was somehow attaching the logo so it was big enough to see from a distance and safely hanging the blackboards. We needed to hide any view of scaffolding as I’m not certain the company can get away with an ‘industrial’ look. We found some bamboo matting, willow fencing, plywood, paint and hooks. It sounds wonderfully simple but I can assure you, it meant standing around for hours in DIY shops, scribbling sketches, comparing sizes of hooks, nails, screws, washers. I think you get the picture.
I uploaded my logo into Illustrator to turn it into a Vector image so I could send it to a company (FibreFusion) to cut it out on a CNC cutter. It was really fun to watch it come to life.
And finally here are the photos of the last few bits…